8.22.2010

Eggs


(Posted by Denise)
I can’t thank Taber enough for taking over my farm share for my vacation week.  It was an interesting week and I really missed my share.  I also realized the amount of money that the share has been saving me this summer.  I know that we are running kind of a theme here, but reading Ruth’s post really got me thinking about the way my family and I ate this past week.  The amount of money that we spent on quick take-out meals and even the amount of time and money that I spent at grocery store was astonishing.

So my family voted and we signing up for the extension and next year!!

That brings me to my egg issue.  I have too many.  I am smiling because I know my farm fresh eggs aren't part of the recall and I don't have to check each box to make sure. (That was a nice feeling!)  But it does mean that with the current state of my life,  I am filthy with eggs.

Once again, we voted.  (I think the boys think they are living in a democracy, its fun to toy with them that way.)  Pound cake was voted the winner.  A beautiful sour cream pound cake that uses six eggs.

Sour Cream Pound Cake
(based on Paula Deen’s recipe)
Ingredients
  • ·      2 sticks butter
  • ·      3 cups sugar
  • ·      1 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat because that is what I keep in the house)
  • ·      1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • ·      3 cups all-purpose flour
  • ·      6 large eggs
  • ·      1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ·      ½ teaspoon almond extract

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
Add the sour cream and mix until incorporated.
In a separate bowl whisk baking soda and flour together.
Add to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with eggs
Beating in each egg 1 at a time
Add the vanilla and almond extract Mix just to combine.
Pour the mixture into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes.

This cake is delicious on its own and I will confess is used as a quick breakfast food by my family.  You can dress it up with some fresh peaches or if you are like me, some plum preserves warmed and fresh whipped cream.


1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous! And...democracy is overrated. Our house is a benign dictatorship!! - Ruth

    ReplyDelete